Wednesday 5 December 2007

Entry Number Fifteen: No Entry

The nights before at this venue, which has now become my most regular, have been silent, nothing to report. The usual. Tonight though was a little bit more hairy, read on...

Night started off as normal, signing in, handing out the radio's to the bar staff. Near the end of the night a girl with a thick scouse accent gripped hold of my hand as i was walking past. She sat with a table of three people. The merriment of drink was in full swing. She was already nearly mentally gone. "WhAT's thE TimE??" i told her the time, then she stood up and hugged me. She was very drunk, very pretty. Long dark red hair, cute face. Fairly tall. Slim. I sat her back down with her family after unlocking her arms around my neck from an embrace, she smelt sweet. Fine i walk on...

Later on me and Yenno are standing, of course, ever alert, while watching floyd mayweather prepare to beat the stuffing out of hatton in a gym on the big screen, when the same girl wanders over. She is clearly drunk, but also it seems a little high as well. Floaty. She can barely form a sentence her words fall out of her mouth in an awkward backward symphony each sentence more bizzare than the last. I couldn't hold it in. I let loose a little giggle. This was like a red rag to a bull.

"Are you patronisin me??" she says, scouse accent so thick you couldn't cut through it. "No not at all, just something funny my colleague done earlier" then the rage in her face sparks off, and she turns a beet root red. "you don't fucking know me, patronising me, you two blacks, think your gangsters" or words to that effect. I calmed her down, and she went to sit back with her family, she burst into tears onto the shoulder of a large man she was sitting next to.

Everything is nice and easy, it's a Tuesday night, nothing is open in town. Couldn't ask for a more quiet night. But as usual near the end of the night is where the stupidities come into play. A group of men in their early forties decided it would be a laugh to climb into the DJ Booth. One of the senior bar staff called me over and told me to remove them from the premises. I walked up to them, through the beer cloud they emitted, and closed the booth. I then stood in the centre of the pack like a solid lump, and asked them to leave.

"Bit stupid innit mate? all over nothing???" Said a porky member of the crew "well rules is rules so you'll have to leave sorry fellas" i replied politely. Gobby in his early forties, spiky hair, quite stocky decided to give it. "Make me" he said. He was drunk, but not completely off his head. But he was drunk. This got my back up, as from here on in, it's now confrontational, i am the most polite doorman, security member you will meet, probably to my disadvantage, but this guy wanted trouble. I looked over at Yenno who was engaged with conversation with a bar staff member, i didn't radio him over, i can handle these guys, if it all kicked off Yenno would have heard, i wanted to see what i could do here.

I moved closer to the guy, but out of headbutts distance, and placed a hand on his elbow to indicate movement. The mob started to get a bit excited. "Oi Oi fe lla, we're leaving" said one of the goons. Spiky haired gobby continued however "I'm drinking this first then i leave" i wasn't having it. I positioned myself to the side, out of striking distance, and decided i was going to lead the guy out. Yenno stepped over and spiky threw a dart he shouldn't have at Yenno "fuck off you" to his credit, Yenno did reason with the guy, but the drunkard clearly wanted to prove something, not sure what.

He got more aggressive and insisted he wasn't moving, his pint was still full, he picked it up and went to drink it. Yenno removed the glass from his hand with a snap, beer spilled to the floor, the fun had started. I placed a hand on the centre of the guys back and moved him toward the door, he went, but not without a threat of me being sued and this and that.

Then when outside a few racial slurs came, the usual. Me, it didn't faze me in the slightest. Even the taunts of, "theres six of us, you try something etc etc ." I ain't stupid brother...I'm not going to prison for no one, i wasn't even angry, I'm not gonna fight.

Yenno however walked right up to mouthy through the six of them, and headed him face up. "Why don't you say it now I'm in front of you" spiky mumbled some stuff clearly bricking it.
Outside the front of the bar, me and Yenno, and six big dudes in their forties, it could have kicked off there and then, but i think they knew they would have had a scuff on their hands. I'm about as wide as Yenno is tall, and we make a combined sight.

I wouldn't want to take us on personally...they walked off cursing and shouting, we entered the club to a suprise chorus of thank you's from the bar staff...we were just doing our job.

Reflecting back one thing i remember earlier on, is when spiky was giving it large i noted him roll up his jumper sleeves, as if preparing himself for some fisticuffs, this is why i thought tonight was kick off night...but drink, makes you brave, makes you stupid.

All of this has prompted me to review exactly how much force i have and what powers i have when it comes to removing someone, i will look into this again, all i do at the moment is guide people with a hand and for the most part eventually, they start moving, but the time will come when someone won't budge, I've always wondered about this...

The girl returned, the one from earlier, her family had deserted her and she was in tears, really upset, heavily drunk. Swaying form left to right like an old boat. She gripped onto my hand for dear life, constantly apoligising. I took her outside and sat her down. Hoping the cool fresh air would blow some sence into her.

We sat on the steps outside the bar, under the bright blue neon light logo. The streetlights made everything orange, taxi drivers parked outside looked on curious as she sobbed.

I stood beside her. She started crying more. She actually asked me to walk her home but no way, not while she was in this state. This day and age you be a good citizen and you're up in the docks for something or other. Sorry, but fuck that. I guided her to a taxi and she wobbled her way toward it, slamming her hand on its roof for support. She fell in, and It drove off home. Not sure what her story was but i did feel sorry for her in the end...

So that was it, right now I'm trying to rack up enough door hours to seriously live off this as a full time occupation. The pay isn't as good as i was expecting it to be, all these stories of 16 pound and 18pd an hour ain't true. It's good pay, but not quite that much, i think that money is the exceptional clubs or the actual danger zones. But I'm not seeing that kind of dough. Also i need to politely get myself out of this taxi rank marshall shit, because it's not what i want, i will do one more out of politeness and because it's short notice to refuse now for the company i work for but that's it...that's it...

I was thinking of looking into Cash in transit in the daytime until i saw that it's going to be another 245 pound to get the license and then more for the exam. So yeah once again, politely, fuck actual that.

Lets try and get some regular work set. The good thing is, that i do enjoy my job, if it's the right venue, i actually look forward to going to work, so it's not all bad...but is it enough to live off? I'm questioning that.



No comments: