Tuesday 24 June 2008

Entry Number Thirty Two: Nobs

(Saturday June 14th)

There's now a problem brewing. There's a group of lads who really want to make the club their own, I'd say they total in about ten or twelve, and they're always at the top bar sulking about like the world owes them something. Making a racket, and acting really unsociable. I do not approve at all, no no no. They are friends of, or connected to my door colleague who we'll call Deli. So they seem to be given a little leeway where they shouldn't be. I'm old school, I'd have them out by their actual ear, and ban the fuckers... But it's not my club, I'm the new boy. So...

Soon enough, as the night went on, again at the bottom bar, My eyes were peering over the mass of bodies as usual when there was a scuffle, and the scuffle turned into something bigger, by now a large group was formed, my main memories of this night was a short fat Asian dude zipping from doorman to doorman, trying to save his mate from being lobbed out by saying

"don't worry, chill out, he'll be ok" etc

The thing is, we didn't even know who his mate was. There was just a moving lump of shouting Asian faces on one side, and what seemed like a few white blokes on the other. The Asians outnumbered them like, twice over. It really didn't look good.

All the time while I'm in the middle of this, my brain kind of switches to another mode. Its almost like I'm detached from the reality, and i just focus on making sure no fighting or scuffling happens. The bright bar, the dancing, the faces looking on, the music. Its all there but secondary. I don't provoke people, I'm not trying to get people to fight, I'm not trying to fight, i just almost fall out of myself and let another version of me take over, the version unaware of how fucking dangerous this job really is.

Me and my very tall, very big colleague Nick simply stood in between them all, there was nothing we could do. Apparently someone had slapped someone Else's girlfriend, or something. It all boiled down to the usual, the cocksuckers had to ruin the fun for everyone else. Nobs.

The situation here was frustrating however, as we couldn't throw anyone out, all we could do was stand in the middle of this heated exchange between the two groups. If we threw one person out, the whole place would erupt, the groups were waiting for a ruck, all standing there, tense, taut like springs, ready to shoot off. Facing each other like two Samurai armies about to clash. Me and big nick simply had to stand between the groups to cool the situation down, it worked, eventually. I think they all took it outside to tear each other into minced beef... which I'm more than happy with. Here, I'll even add the seasoning, but not inside.

I remember one person from one group got a bit to close to the other person, and i had to intervene, gripping up one guy and holding him back. I got covered in some dark alcoholic beverage for my efforts. But within seconds the cold wash of the drink on my hands was forgotten, back to being the human wall with Nick. Literally.

Eventually it got to the point where one of the senior members of door staff asked the DJ to actually change the music, the high temp dance hall and hip hop was too much, getting the prick heads to amped. So in turn every one Else's enjoyment had to be effected. I'm not happy about this situation, the same lot, we keep letting in, the same shit, keeps happening.

There will be a giant showdown soon with the doormen and this group, and me...Mr c*nt will be right in the middle, eyes darting left to right like a rabbit in headlights, frozen. Clocks ticking for this...you watch.

No comments: