Saturday 21 June 2008

Entry Number Twenty Eight: It's Been A While

The following was written over two months ago, i now no longer work at this bar or club because of a disagreement with a head doorman, who made it his personal mission to get me out of this venue. I now work at a new club in my local town...but, i wrote this when i was at the other venue, so might as well post it..enjoy...

It's been a while

Shit, actual shit, it has, my main reasons for not posting have been time. I now have none of it. I work five days a week in another Security "type" job. And generally have no time for Xbox, Lovemaking and even breathing i actually have to pencil into my diary. All for the love of money!

I've now been on the doors for coming up to half a year. I remember applying for the license all excited, thinking i could have my days free, wandering the land, more money than my bank account could physically hold. All the riches and bitches i could ever want. Thinking i could make enough money to actually take over the entire world!! I imagined walking the streets and turning the pavement to gold, I'd be so rich. Eighteen pound an hour here, fifteen pound an hour there...

Put 'Bull' and 'Shit' together...

Besides the wildly inaccurate view of the pay i thought I'd be raking in, it hasn't been too bad so far. I've had a few scuffles, and thank the gods nothing more. I'm glad i got a regular spot though, and it's a good venue. Nice friendly white town, over 25's type of bar although 18's the official age.

Which reminds me, last night i saw a very pretty girl I'd spoke to previously who told me she was 21. The doormen had never ID'ed her. She was wearing a flipping "18 Today!!!" Birthday badge. The deceit i felt in my heart bought me to tears on the spot...nearly. Big beaming Anime Japanese cartoon eyes, big breasts and wicked figure. Wow though, too young...eeech.

What else in the one and a half months I've had off writing...

Just getting to know all the faces now at my permanent spot. The bar is doing a really good trade, and is always busy, packed. Even on the quiet nights, the place is literally filled. It's mad. We have very little trouble, because when incidents do pop up, we handle them swift and politely. It's kind of like our unwritten code there,

Last night some 6'5 skinhead from up north kept dropping off. One of the bar staff came over to me with a big grin and told me...

"someones been knocked out"

I plucked my radio from my blazers chest pocket only to see this dude so smashed, he was leaning hunched over the table, arms folded, full on sleeping. I shook him, and this is a good example of how we, or I handle these situations. I told him politely...

"You can't fall asleep again or you're out"

He fell asleep again.

I woke him, and after a bit of innocent protesting, i led him outside for one of my infamous "chats" He was so friendly and like able, but just genuinely tired, i said to him have ten minutes outside in the smokers, chill out, get some air. He protested still. But nothing aggressive, after seven or so minutes i let him back in. He promised so hard, it was almost a plead, that he wouldn't fall asleep again.

To his credit he attempted dancing a bit, a plodding stumble I'd describe it. Hot moves. But mother gravity called him. He sat down and doof, was gone. Now to struggle him out would have been a challenge, he was taller than me and it would have been messy. I called a taller member of my team over just to keep an eye on me in case he got greasy, he didn't and out he want.

Of course I've worked in many venues now, and with lots of different doormen. I know many who would have thrown him through the crowd, knocking tables over, and kicked him out. With an actual BIG BOOT. But for one our establishment is a bit more classy than a grubby nightclub we like to think, and we handle tings in our own way.

I say "we" but there's a few issues. A lot of the door team for many reasons, the same internal politics I'm having issues with, are leaving or being sacked, and we've yet to get a regular solid team of workers. We have about three or four out of seven who are a definite regular team. I personally now know why the staff at the big big club i worked at were for the most part, a bit chilly toward me. It's because when you get someone new, you're not always sure if they have your back in a kick off, and they have their own ideas etc etc.

Last night a what looked like 6'5 Eastern European guy was being shown round by our boss. One of our regulars for reasons i reeeealy shouldn't type, I think has been given the boot. Which is a shame. He was a mate. And chances are new boy will replace him...we've had a whole heap of new staff the past month or so, as we try and get a tight knit group together. It's an annoyance, but not my side of the job to get involved in. As long as i keep getting my cash every week. It's a big thumbs up.

Ok, i will see if i can write regular again, i want to keep this up for a year, then look back. So far, it's been good. Just less money then i was ever expecting. I know for a fact if i knew before i actually applied for my badge the real money you get, i would not have ever applied for it, and been doing something totally different today. But...I'm here, and i will be back....

Thank you, after this last entry at this bar i left because of what i simply like to call internal politics. Head doorman jealous some barmaids wanted the kid? His penis insecurity?? I don't know, i just left before it got worse. I then got in contact with an old number for door work in my town at quite simply, the roughest club in my town, no two ways about it. Not the biggest, but the roughest. So read on as i chronicle the NEW chapter (again) in this door fukin saga init.

No comments: