Saturday 21 June 2008

Entry Number Twenty Nine: The Fun Begins...

(Friday 23rd May)

The chronicler is back, where have i beeeeeeen. Aw, well a lot has happened. Politics, internal problems with my old company. Doormen with a grudge cos they ladies love the man. All stuff i really should have documented for blogging, but with working full time days as well, not having any time, i kinda slipped. Plus never being sure where i am, or where I'm stationed etc. It all got too much, but i now work somewhere new. aGaIN

In a word, the roughest dive in my town. To be fair. It's my regular, no question, my absolute regular.Loads of fights, scuffles. It's where you would dread working as a doorman who values his life. And I'm now working there. The big catch with this place is drinks are pretty much one pound across the board. This attracts like a magnet the scumballs, lowlifes and people like me...who go there regular. The floors sticky, the crowd often violent and aggressive the music hiphop, bashment, garage...you get the picture. If i named my town it would ALL fit into place...

Arriving suited and booted, one doorman i know from drinking there regular said...

"First time I've seen you sober mate"

And to be fair it probably was, i asked to meet Yavin, a stocky Black dude same height as me just under six, and long dreads. I'd been speaking to him the previous week about work, but decided to have a well deserved weekend off last week. But i had to start sometime, theres no delaying the walk of fire, there's no denying DEATH. So here i was. Yavin was no where to be seen until later on. I walked to the front door, and asked the familiar face when to start work because i was waiting for Yavin.

"Start working now bruv"

So, i whipped on the SIA badge of justice, it beamed bright with truth, freedom and the american way, and the fun began.

Age wise, you're looking at an average of about 20 I'd say, loads of kids. One pound drinks, loads of trouble. First incident was leading two steaming drunk girls out, the manager wanted gone. No problem, this is the kind of stuff i was used to at my regular little quiet bar. "Git out" Gone.

Second a bit more sticky. A tall light skinned black guy, holding a baseball cap refused to scan back in. (theres a system where you have to scan out and in when you go for a fag) He refused to scan in because he never payed to get in in the first place, and the machine would recognise this...fuck you PAY. I screamed at him.

I never, but i did ask him flat out, if he's going to scan or not...he said no, so pushy pushy, outty outty. He was tall so i had to get my positioning right like a sumo, but once i got that anchor attached, goodnight Vienna. He wasn't scuffling, just didn't want to be pushed out. A bald older doorman helped me by grabbing him from behind. He later talked his way back in with the doorman, cool whatever, but this is my first night, and this club expects doormen to be doormen. To be fair, the last bar i worked at was a quiet one for the most part, so coming into the hustle and bustle of the roughest club in town, was a wake up. I had to handle people differently, the talky talky tactic i used for the most part before had to be switched up. Now its more 30% talking and 70% pushing them the mother fuck out of there.

After leading out another kid who was caught smoking in the toilets, i was positioned next to the DJ Booth, and behind me were a group of about eight Asians, getting lary. I knew they were going to kick off, but, i gave them the benefit of the dou... too late. I turn round to see the bald doorman who helped me earlier in the middle of an argument with them, trying to prise someone from between about three big Asian dudes. A younger looking kid, raring up, too much drink, someone had disrespected him. I tried my usual claptrap to chill him out, no, he wasn't having it.

One ignorant slug garbled some kind of "leave him the fuck alone" chat. Yeh mate, suck my bollocks. No need for others to try and pour fuel on the situation. Eventually we dragged him out, his mates still attached, like some kind of odd black and Asian rugby scrum, moving, through the crowd. Near the door, the kid broke free and walked out. Barging a trail of pride and posturing through the captivated clubbers...over, back to the dancing, they're used to this.

Later on in the night, a black guy was lying out the back, eyes rolling in his head, his face displaying a picture of more than simply alcohol, something else was swirling around his blood stream. I got him some water, the manager was already with him, he was really in a bad way, he stared into the moonlight, and looked around with such confusion, later on the police arrived, i went back in for the night.

Bearing in mind, for the past four months I've been working in a pretty quiet bar, in a quiet town. It's a bit of a pitch shift for me, theres no doubt, but the money is good, hours longer. I have decided i eventually want to get out of this lark. But the weekly money, is very sweet. That's all it is. The actual job is mad, crazy, endangering my actual life. This new place will definitely test me as a doorman, it doesn't get no rougher then this. Police are always stationed outside most nights when it's busy. There have been stabbings, shooting, bottlings, i know the place inside out... come on that lottery ticket.

No comments: