Sunday 18 November 2007

Entry Number Eight: White Pub

This is my unofficial first night. What did i think about all this then? I think i haven't even begun to get a grasp of what this is all going to involve. I took along a girl from my old work with me who knows the doorman who i was going to be with for the night, Eddie, she ended up by my side as part of the tour as well. She reminds me of a jelly bean, thats had it's excitement levels wound up so much, it can't stand still. Imagine a hyper active wasp stuck inside a jelly bean, zipping around inside it...that's similar to Yvonne.

So's... after finding the location, a back street pub/bar we step out into the evil cold and head for the back street drinker. My mind is cool, and calm, i think because I'm so comfortable with the envioronment that helps. I'm out three four nights a week normally, when I'm in my single phases, where i 'ave no bird, I'm out three four nights raving. Not sure why, trying to desperately cram in all my last days of dancing before 30? Sometimes it all seems so sad.

I ask Yvonne if this is a black / white / asian / pub. She don't know, i walk in, i'm the only black face in there, country music is playing and it's kareoke night.... it's not an Asian pub. Was a friendly atmosphere, all obviously regulars, you could tell. I'm not a pub person, i can count on both hands the amount of times I've been in a pub. I can't really explain why, i just don't like the environment. The closed in cage feeling if something kicks off. The regulars, i don't know, hard to explain, marmite.

We had a walk around the pub, it was fairly large compared to pubs I'd been in before, all the while Eddie was explaining to me about face expressions, spotting people in a crowd, being aware, where to find cocaine residue...it was there as he predicted. To be honest, it was perfect. Like hands on job experience. The whole course / exam thing i done, bless it, was useless. I mean to be there, feel it, be ready to pounce if needed...and advice from someone who's actually been there, been through it. I wish I'd bought along some thick rimmed nerd spectacles and a note book, serious, this stuff i was being told was gold.

A 6'4 dude walks in with a baseball cap, chubby white guy, towering. Eddie introduces him, Erwin. This guy was top. Friendly, doorman of 6 years, we walked around the pub speaking for a good two hours straight. About taking a punch, about rapport with people, who to work for who not to work for, basic arm locks and holds. Of which i need to learn before i even start on my own. I realised i was never taught how to hold someone? and I'm a qualified doorman? If it kicked off i had no idea how to get someone physically away from me. How could i not know this yet have my badge? It's my job to know how to eject people if needs be, yet i was never taught in my training..how to eject people. I can throw some good punches but i need to know more than being able to scrap. None of this i know...

As a Doorman, and remember these people in the pub had no clue this was my first night, you see the respect you get. To be fair, it was a nice pub, people friendly, very drunk havin' a laugh. I need to get in there with the dirt of it. I need to get hit, i haven't been hit for a long long long time. I'm not a fighter i don't fight. I'm just a big dude. But Erwin seemed cool, he's now manager of probably the biggest bar in town. But it all seemed very networky. Everyone knew everyone else.

My disadvantage in all this is that I'm a guy whos kept myself to myself. I have no reputation, cos i don't do dirt. I'm 5'11, about 15 stone, tattoos the works. I look like I'm a nasty bastard, but i ain't. I'm a family man who needs some extra money legally. Like good money quick. Doorwork. Soon I'm gonna be known, i accept that as a standard procedure but i ain't looking forward to having to watch my back outside of work but...i kind of knew all this was coming...
So, the pub closes, night ends. Besides one particularly lary gent arguing with his girl me and Eddie sorted peacefully, and a big bald man falling off his stool, aided by the fun juice he was consuming like there was no more on earth. It was a quiet night. Oh yeh, skinny man, trying to pinch Eddies man boobs...that was it.

We all got in the warmth of my baby, and drove down to the main town. It's November and very cold. It was a Friday night but as Thursday is the new Friday, Xmas is coming, and it's cold enough to freeze Satans dinkle, no one is out. The bar we went to, one of the bar staff i had a "fing" wiv for a while, she wasn't there. God damn it i wanted her to see me shine!!! They had completely changed it since i was last there. The HipHop room i think has gone, the inside was just all cut out into one big club. Green and purple, lazer lights washed over us, and big looming pictures of painted women and the clubs logo lined the walls. It was fairly empty for such a huge club, and for a Friday night.

I got introduced to a man who is possibly the tallest human being I've ever seen in my life, African dude, spikes in his hair, friendly warm smile, and a big broad face. I give him daps all the time when i was out raving, now, being led round by Eddie. I'm becoming part of the whole doorman team for my town. It's scary, as well as fucking exciting... all the while the excited Jelly Bean? remember her? is tagging along. Loving being taken on a tour by two big hunks of actual corned beef. Lucky girl.

We then went to my regular bar, my home, I'm here three nights a week, four nights sometimes. Theres a friendly, but very very rough, Asian dude on the doors i bin speaking to about my license for months now. He gave me a knowing smile and handshake when he saw me with Eddie. We both mentally said to each other "finally" many a drunk night I've stumbled out there to him complaining that my license is takin so long. When in reality, compared to stories of 6 months, 4 months, i got mine quick time.

I saw all my little girlies i dance with, who all knew i was gonna be on the doors soon. And it felt nice. I was the man. I'm sorry, I'm only writing as i feel. It felt nice brother / and or sister, it felt nice. Once again Eddie told me what to look for, how to get a feel for things, judge people. My little regular, i know like the back of my hand, so I'm comfortable there. But they have about five six door staff a night as theres always, ALWAYS fights there.

One night me and my crew of gangster rappers saw six scraps in one night. Including watching the whole bar duck as a spinning wineglass flew though the air like a graceful swan...that's spinning. It's a rough bar to go to three nights a week but I've never ever had any trouble. In fact, I've never had any trouble in my life besides what two occasions, which is what I'm concerned about. Martial arts three nights a week doesn't count for anything really, lets be fair, of course it's better to know some than nothing, but...on the street?

Onto another bar, very very popular mostly all white bar. Plays cheesy pop music and eighties rubbish. The poor short spiky haired white guy on the doors hugging his mug of cocoa looked like he'd had enough to be honest. Long night I'm guessing. Bumped into a few of Eddies mates had a look around and got a feel again for the people. It is worth noting that the whole night i didn't even pay attention to the good looking girls, my main concern was what where when and who to do if and when it all kicked off, even though officially it wasn't my shift. Being honest all of this was invaluable and Eddie didn't have to do it.

Then on to the biggest bar in the town, by far the most popular besides my regular. It is always heaving in there, tonight was no exception. The layout is huuge, theres a sit down restaurant area too. And this place regularly has around 10 doorman throughout the bar, just to give you an indication of the size.

We marched through the throng to a quiet corner to meet Dean. This guy has a reputation throughout Luton as the main Doorman to go to. He's been on the doors for about twenty years, is a former pro Karate Champion, and you can see the battle written all over his face. His upper body was as wide as fucking jumbo jet wings. But he was still small enough to be zippy and quick on his feet. While of course, you're getting popped in the nose and or teeth area.

I'd heard about him before I'd even started any kind of Doorwork, or applying for doorwork. He was about 5'6 a thin black buzz of hair, and a battered face but not enough to deter the several ladies that were surrounding him as he consumed some kind of fruit and then shot game. His handshake almost broke my hand, it was like an Iron Clamp...that's the thing i will always remember about him. Even though i towered over him, my handshake must have been about as solid as a wet weed, i wasn't expecting that kind of grip. It said 'Top Dog' "you have a license big man?" He asked me off the bat. I nodded. He reached into his pocket and passed me a phone. I put my digits in, he missed called me, and there it was..i now had the Top Dog of Lutons Number. I wasn't sure what to do with it, when to call it or what to say...but i would soon, very soon. Find out.

After a short introduction to all the doormen on the doors that was it, the end of my Mini Tour. Eddie did not have to do this but he did, and i respect him for it. I had so much information in my head from the night, so much buzzing so many questions but i had time to absorb it. Take it in, sit on it, soak in it, cook it, roast it, simmer it and lie back then start on the doors in a few weeks, or a week, once I'd got some more proper training right? Wrong.

No comments: